AFC Wimbledon have signed West Ham United goalkeeper Nathan Trott on a season-long loan deal.
The 20-year-old England youth player was in the squad that won the European Under-19 Championship in 2017.
Trott recently signed a new three-year contract with West Ham, who he joined after a trial in January 2016.
Hammers goalkeeping coach Xavi Valero hopes a move to League One can offer the youngster “valuable experience of first-team football”.
A serial burglar dubbed the “Wimbledon prowler” has admitted trying to raid the home of tennis star Boris Becker.
Asdrit Kapaj, 42, burgled a string of residences in the London suburb, home to the All England Lawn Tennis Club.
His “sustained campaign” spanned more than a decade, netting him high-end items and thousands in cash.
After pleading guilty to 21 burglaries last month, he returned to court on Monday to admit an attempted burglary at Mr Becker’s home.
Kingston Crown Court heard Kapaj travelled from Altrincham, Greater Manchester, to target homes in south-west London from 2008 until his arrest in February.
He attempted to raid Becker’s house on 31 October 2013.
The 51-year-old German, who won six Grand Slam singles events during his career – including Wimbledon three times – lived in the area with his then wife Lilly at the time.
Becker said: “He didn’t actually get into the house,” before adding “I’m pleased he’s been caught.”
His estranged wife Lilly said: “He had no choice but to admit what he’d done.”
Scotland Yard had linked the “prowler”, who wore a distinctive fisherman’s hat, to 200 burglaries in total.
He was accused of meticulously destroying security equipment and police said he may have used a device to pick locks.
Over the years, Kapaj’s haul included a diamond ring, a gold necklace and a gold watch.
As well as the attempted raid on Becker’s home, Kapaj admitted another burglary in the area on 25 January 2014.
Judge Peter Lodder QC described the married father of two as having “identified a particular area and conducted a sustained campaign”.
A large group of residents went to court last month to celebrate Kapaj’s guilty pleas.
One, Laurie Porter, said homeowners were now “sleeping more easily” after he admitted the burglaries.
Kapaj will next appear in court on 7 June.
He was already due to be sentenced for his other offences, which also included two counts of attempted burglary, on 21 June.
Fans will no longer need to use pen, paper and a stamped addressed envelope to apply for Wimbledon tickets after the grass-court showpiece announced an end to a 95-year tradition.
The move to an online ballot from 2020 was among several changes confirmed by the All England Club on Tuesday.
Prize money will increase by 11.8% this year, with the total pot at the Grand Slam standing at £38m.
The men’s and women’s singles champions will win £2.35m, a rise of £100,000.
Prize money for early-round losers will increase by more than 10%, while there is also a double-digit increase for men’s and women’s doubles.
The new retractable roof over Court One will be in operation this year but the shot-clock – used at January’s Australian Open – will not be.
But the device, which counts down the seconds allowed between points, is “very likely” to be introduced from 2020, All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) chief executive Richard Lewis told a news conference.
Meanwhile, the wheelchair event has been expanded to include quad singles and doubles after a trial last year.
This year’s grass-court Grand Slam runs from 1 to 14 July.
Since 1924 Wimbledon has sold the majority of its tickets through a postal ballot, which requires fans to send a stamped addressed envelope to receive an application form, which they then need to post back to the All England Club to enter the ballot.
The completed forms need to be returned by the end of the December before the July championships and fans cannot apply for specific dates or courts.
The system is set to remain the same for the online application, just without the paper and stamps.
The new online ballot does not affect the popular queue – where people often camp overnight to buy on-the-day tickets.
Prize money increases
Wimbledon has once again announced higher percentage increases in prize money for players who go out in the first three rounds of the main draw or in qualifying.
“It is a clear demonstration, once again, of our continued commitment to do what we can for players for whom it will have the most impact,” AELTC chairman Philip Brook said.
Since 2011, the prize money for first-round losers has increased almost four fold, from £11,500 to £45,000.
Meanwhile, if Britain’s Jamie Murray wins the men’s doubles title this year, he would share £540,000 with his partner, which is a rise of 20% compared to last year.
|Selected Wimbledon prize money|
|Singles champions||£2.35m||+4.4% (compared to 2018)|
|First-round singles loser||£45,000||+15.4%|
|Mixed doubles champions||£116,000||+5.5%|
|Wheelchair singles champions||£46,000||+15%|
|Wheelchair doubles champions||£18,000||+28.6%|
|Total prize money||£38m||+11.8%|
What are the other changes for 2019?
Among other changes announced on Tuesday was that play on the outside courts will begin half an hour earlier than previously, at 11:00 BST, and four more courts will offer Hawk-Eye technology for line calls.
The capacity of the grounds will rise to 42,000, an increase of 3,000 following the completion of work to put a roof on Court One.
The cost of the project, which comes 10 years after Wimbledon installed a retractable roof over Centre Court, has not been disclosed but Brook said it had been completed on time and on budget.
The roof will be tested at a tennis and music exhibition event on 19 May, which will be broadcast live on the BBC and raise money for a homeless fund set up by the Wimbledon Foundation.
Organisers also announced plans for a greener championships, by using only 100% recycled and recyclable water bottles and scrapping plastic bags from its racquet-stringing operation.